Feeding The Habit

"I will go in this Way, Oh but I will find my own way out." -Dave Matthews

Friday, August 20, 2004

A Leaving (part ii)

The rain lifted more than my spirit on the drive. It trickled down lightly falling like yesterday. We walked through the streets of Chicago and laughed at the strange people. We moved furniture like it was someone else's job.

In Missouri we stopped to see the large arch and made exclamations on its largeness. From the observation deck at top every single thought I had seemed so small. We got in on a discount with Her state parks pass and had planned to tell them we were married if they asked for mine. They didn't ask.

It was just as well. There's only so far a single pass will get you after all.

Over dinner I told her how much fun she'd have in this new city and how the Hancock Observatory was best climbed at night. It overlooks the pier and all the downtown lights. The Sears Tower should be saved for the day.

When it was time to go, I told her how much fun I had. How I would miss her. How I'd see her soon enough even though I knew I wouldn't.

I never told her though, how I couldn't imagine living without her.