Feeding The Habit

"I will go in this Way, Oh but I will find my own way out." -Dave Matthews

Monday, November 15, 2004

It's not a perfect world

Today was a chicken mystery wrap day. These are the days where time for food is short and you eat at the place called a Kiosk. I don't know what this word means, but somehow it is inseparably linked with undesirable food. Or perhaps just undesirable chicken wraps, which is always the only item on the menu.

I think because they are called wraps, some confusion has been created causing the head chef to feel they should be somewhat like presents, and for that reason, they are made to contain a surprise; which generally means something that doesn't belong.

Worse, there is no option. Only one kind of wrap a day is made. The first wrap I had the pleasure of sinking my teeth into was the Caesar Chicken Wrap. Now, a random anyone, such as myself, would suspect this wrap might contain lettuce, chicken, and ranch mixed with anchovy paste. Sort of like a Caesar Chicken Salad. But to my delight (surprise!), or rather, the lack of it, it also held within the confines of its many folds, whole slices of green apples, Sour green apples, to be exact.

In case you were wondering, this is not considered tasty when placed in the mouth along with chicken and anchovy paste. The same could be said for the pecans found in today's Santa Fe Chicken wrap. At least I was not caught off guard. My friend from Canada tells me this unpleasantry happens because women make them. The women, I am told, like to eat them, and then have something to complain about, and laugh about when others are buying them, because they know they are gross.

But my friend from Canada also says aboot, so I am not so sure how much credit to give them.

I ordered a coffee to offset the disgust I knew I would experience from the chicken a la crap wrap. As a treat, I get what my friend calls not coffee. A flavored latte. She says Americans don't drink real coffee. She says it is a desert. But it is coffee, as best I can tell, with a lot of steamed milk and sweetener added for kicks. And I watched my friend get a coffee once. She ordered it with four creams and five sugars, which really didn't seem all that different than a flavored latte. But I let it slide. I like to drink my coffee black as a rule anyway.

Tim Horton's is the fancy chain for coffee where my friend lives. They affectionately call it "Timmie's" and go there often getting random doses of sugar and cream. They do not sell out though and add, god forbid, a flavor. I tell my friend that Starbucks is the popular place around here, but that I have never once felt compelled to call it "Buckie's". I have never ordered a chicken wrap from them either, and really, I think that is probably a good thing.